Thursday, March 1, 2007

Doctor Shahid, the New Man in Town



Recently Thoshi Dadi, our 80-year-old neighbor, brought over her physiotherapist, Doctor Shahid. Doctor Shahid is a young, handsome boy who's very earnest about his job. He showed up at our doorstep with his little black bag in tow and here's the conversation that ensued as he carefully massaged my grandmom's knees:

Doctor Shahid: Where does it hurt?
Nani: (giggling like a school girl) Doctor Shahid, I used to skate in Missourie when I was a young girl during the summers...We'd all, all the boys and girls, skate for hours and hours, drinking coffee and skating away. They called me the 'Skating Queen.' I had long, black hair back then. Do you think my knees have gone bad because I skated too much?
Doctor Shahid: I think you've got Osteoarthritis. I'm putting you on a treatment of laser massage and one hour of daily physiotherapy for the next two weeks.
Thoshi Dadi: Arre Sunita, bring the boy some lemonade... poor thing's been working too hard.
Nani: You're right, Thoshi...he looks too thin. (To Doctor Shahid) Do you eat enough, Doctor Shahid? Please stay for lunch ... Are you married?

And speaking of marriage and/or love or at least extreme like, it's been surprisingly hard for me to find eligible and gallant suitors for Nani. For one thing, Nani is Ageist and doesn't like old men. For another, there simply aren't that many places for the elderly in India to mingle in. I asked Thoshi Dadi where people hang out and it seems they either go to the temple (to pray) or to old British Raj-era clubs (to play Bingo) or to friend's houses (to gamble and gossip). None of these are conducive for blossoming friendships of the romantic kind. But the biggest barrier is that there's a kind of "in bad taste", "shameful", "this isn't the age for that sort of thing" attitude associated with romance after a certain point. People here seem to believe that once you've hit old-age and have "lived your life" aka "raised your kids and seen them settled", you're not supposed to want anything more for yourself-- no dreams or desires or hopes. I ran this observation by Nani as she was knitting and watching her favorite movie of all time, and she said, "Shhhh!" Geez. It's impossible to ask her anything while she's watching this movie. It's called "Love mein Twist" or "A Twist in Love" and it's about these two 50-year-olds who find love unexpectedly. Nani's watched it atleast 10 times and knows all the dialogue by heart, lip-syncing along with every scene. I think I have my answer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh to be so brave as your nani!