Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Sun Flower Chinese Beauty Parlour


The Sun Flower Chinese Beauty Parlour opened in 1979. Our neighbor, Thoshi Dadi, has been coming here every fortnight since, for the past 38 years. She gets her hair blow-dried and coiled into an elegant bun by a lady named Pinky, a second-generation Indian of Chinese descent, who's known Thoshi Dadi all these decades. Today, Thoshi Dadi took Nani and I to meet Pinky--me for a haircut, and Nani to have her eyebrows shaped. If you look carefully in the photo above, you can see Pinky greeting us at the door.

Inside, there's only one hair-washing sink and shelves filled with old, half-empty shampoos and hair tonics. Large women with curlers in their hair sit behind plastic curtains eating lunch.

A lady carrying samosas and ladoos (an Indian sweet) walks around to the customers selling her wares.

When Pinky's done with me, I look like those housewives from the 60s, with pouffy hair, all bouncy and popping outwards at the edges. "You look so beautiful," says Thoshi Dadi proudly. And strangely, in this odd little gem of a parlor from another era, I actually feel it.

10 comments:

Priya Giri Desai said...

what a great post! reminds me of my first threading experience with my aunties at their neighborhood salon in Bangalore. -priya (nitasha's friend)

Nitasha said...

Piya - so exciting to catch a glimpse of you in the mirror! I miss you!
Hugs,
Nitasha

Piya said...

priya-- threading at a bangalore salon sounds like a trip!! nitasha-- good eye. you'll be happy to know that after washing out the blow-dry my hair no longer looks like a 50's house-wive's... more like weird al yankovic. pretty. i miss you too!!

Shilpa said...

nice post! is this the one at Khan Market?? what fun to live with your naani :D

Rashi said...

Love seeing pictures of my Nani at Sunflower -- I'll always think of her with her hair well coiffed! X

Radhika said...

Hi Piya,
I'm a delhi-based journalist, working on a piece on the sunflower salon. Was wondering if I could get a quote by you on your experience there, or by your nani on what has been taking her back to the salon for over two decades now.

Cheers
Radhika

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi check out this list the site has many beauty parlours
Bangalore beauty classifieds

AROMHOMES said...

great article.we got more info about bangalore

beauty salon Bangalore

Glamservices said...

Glam service are the best beauty service in Yelahanka.


Glamservices Bangalore