Monday, May 21, 2007

Home

When you're in a foreign country, riding around on a bus, spending all day and night with the same small group of people...things are bound to get deep. So it's only natural that in the course of our trip the topic of conversation turned to the concept of home (ok, ok I brought it up). I was moved and surprised by some of the definitions offered to me by my fellow travelers.

"Home":

1) The place you always return to.
2) Where you feel comfortable living alone.
3) Where your people are.
4) Where it's not about bricks and buildings, but spirit and soul.
5) Where you can get a good night's sleep.

When I returned home to Delhi at 3 a.m., for a moment I forgot time and space. It was like I was back in the old Delhi of my childhood-- walking off the plane, clearing customs, taking in the familiar airport scents and sounds, the humid summer air, the sleepy excitement as I exit the terminal searching the crowd for my granddad... Then I remembered how things have changed and I got ready to hail myself a taxi, when who should I see sitting beside the guard right at the exit of the airport gate? Nani in a pretty pink salwar kameez. It was like old times, but new.

2 comments:

Anahat said...

nice.... "Home is a Feeling" - Anahat! http://anahat.blogspot.com/2006/08/home-is-feeling.html

Chandan said...

You are so much fo a heart rather than the mind.

My Guru once said, Home is inside you, and it is one where you are really alive.

nice seeing ur blog. u seem to respect your family and people and culture so much. I am deeply in respect with you. god bless flower.

For sure i am a new regular visitor to your blog.

-- Chandan