Sunday, February 4, 2007

Mama Leaves, Chaos Comes

Excerpt from an email to a good friend:

"It's one a.m. over here and it's been a disastrous day until this very second. My mom left this morning, and everything went haywire. The MTNL phone guys came to the apartment to fix my connection. All these people flooded my room, staring intently at my computer, and four hours later they kept mentioning how they needed a "special wire" before they could make the final connection.



Turns out the term "special wire" was actually a polite way of asking for a bribe. Paid them 200 rupees. Then, the washing machine went crazy and actually started hopping up and down and shattered some glasses that were lying on a shelf.

I called the local plumber and he said he needed to get some "special equipment" to fix everything. I thought he was asking for a bribe, but turns out he's a decent chap and actually needed special equipment... so I ended up insulting him (because I offered him a bribe). AND the cable TV conked out so nani couldn't see her favorite soap... AND despite all the bribes and hours of fiddling with "special wires," the MTNL guys said I wouldn't have a connection until next week...

I felt like crawling into my bed and pulling the covers over my head (or calling my mom and telling her to tackle this crazy world while I hide behind her legs and peep out occasionally)... but instead went to the gym, had a really nice chat with my grandmom, and we decided we're going to go for brunch to our favorite spot in Old Delhi tomorrow. And then guess what?? Couldn't sleep, so just now opened my computer to import some photos, and to my total astonishment (awe, wonder, mystification and joy) a little green light started blinking on the MTNL box and I am… connected! I don't know how because those guys said the box had to be replaced, but I am truly thankful! Wow. Delhi has a way of making you not take anything for granted--not a connection, or a clean towel, or life-- and maybe that's one good thing about living here.

ps: I told my nani that you thought she was AMAZING (I showed her your all caps) and she giggled like a school girl and kissed the computer (as in she's sending a kiss your way). Do you know that anytime I compliment her she blows a kiss up to the sky? And when I ask her why she says she's thanking God since he made her. She's so funny!"

No comments: