Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Worst Case of Insomnia In the Entire Galaxy...

…is happening right here, right now, to me. I just can't sleep and instead have gained acutely sensitive hearing. Here are the sounds I'm picking up on:

1) Sunita and/or Nani snoring in the room next door.
2) What sounds like at least 200 stray dogs barking to each other as though in deep conference (There's something kind of wondrous about it. I think they're seriously solving the mysteries of the universe out there).
3) A guard outside blowing his whistle and tap-tapping up and down through the streets.
4) A man from the village next door-(whom I've heard before)-vomiting his heart out.
5) Same man knocking on a door that is not opening.
6) The wind through the leaves.
7) A planet slowly turning. (Ok, ok, so I can't hear that... but it sounds really poetic to write it, especially at two in the morning).

PS: Also, in one of those strange twists (and I'm still kind of in a daze about it), this week I turned down what I thought was my dream job (with an upcoming radio channel) and instead have accepted a job today with a newly created "lifestyle" magazine. I'm starting Monday (though it's for a grace period of 20 days after which we'll confirm). It's a small team and the people who work there are really quirky but also super intelligent and human. It's the first place I've interviewed at where the thought of going in to work each morning doesn't give me heart palpitations and make me break out in a serious sweat. Which I think is a good sign.

Excerpt of an email to a friend:

"I don't know...I'm making all my decisions based on my gut... I sure as hell hope it knows what it's doing! Sometimes it feels like I'm living through a crazy screenplay if that makes any sense... like this is all a narrative. Do you know that when I interviewed with the editor, bits of the ceiling from upstairs kept falling down on us through the water sprinkler (they were doing contstruction upstairs)?? He's this hip-looking Indian guy with a thick accent and pictures of his grandma and grandpa up on the wall beside him. He keeps saying, "I want this magazine to be outside the box; I want people who think
different..." I admire these guys because they decided to create a magazine...and then they just created it...even though they have no experience. And when they say they believe in treating their employees fairly, I believe it. Am realizing at the age of 31, that people are the only thing that make anything worth it or anything good. I truly believe that if the people
creating a project aren't full-proof then the project wouldn't be either. We produce what we are...

Enjoy your weekend...You made it to friday!"

2 comments:

Bidi-K said...

good luck with the new job and, more importantly (at least for me), with getting some sleep in the near future, though I must say hearing the sound of the planet turning, even hypothetically is very cool.

Piya said...

thanks bidi-k! i'm happy to report i got a sound night's sleep last night. tonight ofcourse is a different story...but that could just be because i'm nervous about starting my new job tomorrow...feels like the first day of school! piya